Learn how to harness the power of play and become a serious game designer.
The Game Beyond is a workshop in Game Design given by Gabe Mac. This workshop is designed to tap into the natural game play habits of the participants: giving a deeper understanding of the art of game design by using a model that allows for the design of a variety of games to overcome real world challenges. The workshop itself is a game designed to get the participants in a flow of collaborative innovation and rapid prototyping.
This workshop's Game Design curriculum is based on over a decade of teaching at the College of Arts of Utrecht, Design for Virtual Theater and Games. The model has been applied to develop a variety of award winning games and marketing campaigns. After participating in the workshop, players will have a base knowledge in making more effective gamification strategies. Players will understand how to use game mechanics, feedback loops and rule sets to design customized gamification to targeted groups. At the end of workshop, a number of prototype game strategies are designed.
What you will learn
- How to translate challenges into Game Goals.
- How to design game rules for players and systems.
- Effective use of Game Mechanics for your goal.
- How to connect with the subconscious hero drive inside everyone.
- How to prototype and design games for production.
- How to use negative and positive feedback loops effectively.